Friday, July 25, 2014

Colony crisis

Say a prayer that the feral kitties at work can be kept safe.  Management has decided that they  must go. And that is by any means necessary.  I am afraid for their lives at this point. Literally, they are threatening to kill them.

I have contacted my co-caregiver who is very experienced with feral colonies, from what I understand. I have also contacted my TNR sponsor and she is turning to PAWS--which is a HUGE advocate of TNR in Chicago.  This is private property, so I don't know how much they can do, although the killing of animals is against the law. 

I have to back off from feeding and caring for these kitties because I can lose my job over this.  I am confident in those who I have contacted and there has been some action to move them and protect them, but if they are poisoned or shot.....I can't help that.

THIS is why I didn't want to name them. THIS is why I didn't want to get attached.  I am heartbroken, but now, I just ask for prayers for their lives.   I have to trust that I have been led to those who can help and they will do all that they can to save them.




14 comments:

Marg said...

Lin, this is so sad. Hopefully your TNR people can find a place to move the cats. I will write some other people I know that live up there. I will post it on Facebook too. We will keep our paws crossed that someone can find a place for the cats. What is their reason to get rid of the cats?? Take care.

Lin said...

Marg--I have to be careful not to blow this up too big--because it could really backfire for me and the cats. I think the people I have contacted are high enough in this operation to know how to handle this. Relocation is the last resort as it is very complicated from what I understand. They want the cats gone because they are tired of seeing them--plain and simple. They are "fixing up" the place and the cats are an annoyance to a lot of people. There are people I work with who are afraid of them and want them gone.

Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Secondary Roads said...

That is sad--very sad--news. Why the fear? Are some of the cats aggressive toward people? What a shame to evict your resident pest control experts.

Donna said...

Oh noooo....I'll be sending tons of prayer dear lady!!!
hughugs

Patty Woodland said...

Well with PAWS knowing now if anything happens to those cats heads will roll.

What is to be afraid of - I am sure they run if anyone comes near them

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

This is so sad! You did the right thing by involving organizations that have experience with this issue. They know how to deal with these things and will take measures you are probably not even yet aware of to help these kitties.

Ann Thompson said...

That is just too sad. I wondering how the company would respond to the media if they were to find out that they want to possibly kill the colony.

Petula Lloyd said...

Aww... Sorry, buddy. I hate to hear that. Hopefully everything will work out ok.

Sharkbytes said...

Bad situation all around. Hope a solution is found. Don't lose your job over it.

Duni said...

Oh no! That is awful and so sad :( Wish people would understand the plight of feral cats. I agree, it is not easy to relocate feral cats, as it is their territory. They will most likely return. Praying for all of them!!

BumbleVee said...

awww... the poor kitties.....hang in there Lin....

Simone Dankenbring said...

I have to laugh at the memory...I worked at a hospital that set traps to get rid of the feral cats. They were being fed pretty well by our department. One day, the one named Velvet Elvis was caught. I slid into the bushes and opened up the trap and said, "Run free, Velvet Elvis" and he took a look at me, winked and took off. I knew I was supposed to leave it to the authorities but I just couldn't bear to think what could happen to them.

Veronica Lee said...

So sorry to hear this pally. Hope everything turns out okay.

((Prayers))