Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A watched tadpole....


The other night, I went out with my flashlight to check the pond.  My nightly frog check  is always full of surprises--some good, some bad.  Sometimes I find a new frog or two....sometimes you get an old raccoon, dead as a doornail, lying there waiting for you. 

I had a good surprise though--my little taddie that was taking F O R E V E R to grow legs had apparently sprouted them all in a very short time and was already sitting on the side of the pond looking at me.  Those are the surprises I like.

Then just last night, I heard a bullfrog singing.  I'm not sure if it was in our pond or the neighbor's, but it was a singer just the same.  That always makes me happy. 

Mid-summer frog count - 3 frogs.  One large and two taddies who are freshly new frogs.  Although there was another large frog out there last week.  I'm thinking that's who may have been singing.

The fish and snails are bountiful.  The frogs are happy and singing.  Life is good in the pond.













11 comments:

Marg said...

Oh good, so glad to hear that the frogs and all their friends are doing well. What fun that the legs came out so to speak. Have a great Wednesday.

vanilla said...

Fun! I think our resident toad has accomplished his mission, for he sang heartily for a week or ten days, but I haven't heard him for a week now.

Secondary Roads said...

Ahhhh . . . Life is good.

Duni said...

That is awesome news! Not so much about the dead raccoon though :/
I hope your froggies live long and happy lives!

BeadedTail said...

Your pond makes me happy too! Hope your bullfrog comes home and stays home!

Patty Woodland said...

I'm glad you are having a good pond year

Ann Thompson said...

today we'll celebrate frog legs and hopefully he won't use them to hop away :)

Sharkbytes said...

He looks a little disconcerted. Maybe he liked being a tadpole.

Veronica Lee said...

Today I just read about the wood frog in Alaska that freezes (most of its body parts turn into ice!) for 7 months to last out the winter, thaws out in the string and merrily hops away! How strange!

Glad to know life is good in the pond.

Petula Lloyd said...

What a great froggie and pond report. Good news.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Congratulations on your newly minted hopper!