Monday, January 7, 2013

I believe my meatloaf is obituary-worthy. Really.

Give me my flannel pants, some fuzzy socks, a cup of Joe and my Sunday paper and I'm happy as a pig in slop.  Oh, and mix in the obit section and my Sunday morning is perfection.  I'm easily entertained like that.

As you know, I love reading obituaries.  I scan them to find interesting characters, funny tales or bits and pieces of  the shared lives of those departed.  There is just something about those tiny memorials--words trying to encompass a lifetime and honor those we lost.  I love reading what someone else thought was important to say about the deceased.  Most times they are sorta boring, but then you hit one that makes you smile--I just wait for those.

Yesterday, I found quite a large obituary--Kathleen White Coult had nearly a quarter of a page of writing about her life and times.  Sure she was an interesting and accomplished lady, but I couldn't get past her potato salad--apparently it was the best ever.  Don't you love that?  That's what they remember about 'ol Kathleen....her potato salad?  Damn, that must have been some potato salad, eh?

Now, I am not a cook, by any means.  For the most part, Joe does our everyday cooking around here.  I am a) not interested in cooking and b) not a very good cook, so while I like to cut the grass, Joe likes to do the cooking.  We are not about "girl" jobs and "boy" jobs here at the Kautz house--we believe in equal opportunity chores....so Joe makes dinner every night. It works for us.

That said, I like to make a nice Sunday dinner every so often and my specialty is meatloaf.  There is just something about meatloaf and potatoes that sets the world back on its axis.  It's a family meal. It's soul food.  It's hearty and wintery and oh, so good. Unless you ask my kids.  They hate it. BUT....if you ask anyone else, I make the best meatloaf....ever. 

So, I'm wondering if Kathleen was sorta like that about her potato salad?  Did everyone really like it?  Did her son complain about her making that for every 4th of July picnic? And did he roll his eyes and think to himself "Aw, crap. There she goes with that damn potato salad again!"? Did she just announce to everyone (like I do with my meatloaf) that it is the BEST ever?  Hmmmm....

After reading about Kathleen's potato salad, I made an announcement today that someone has to list my meatloaf in my obituary.  I mean, I just think I deserve that honor.  I dream of the day, after I'm dead, that my kids will be making their kids eat meatloaf and these words are gonna come out of their mouths...."My mom made the best meatloaf...."

I believe you, Kathleen.  And I wanna know how you got them to write that in your obituary.


17 comments:

Tracy said...

hah, reminds me...in high school for language arts we had to write our own obituary. Mine was pretty outlandish as well :)

vanilla said...

One thing that irritates the spouse is for me to order meatloaf in a restaurant. Asserts hers is better and takes it as a criticism that I would order meatloaf. She's right, of course: hers is better. But dang it, I like meatloaf! (How's next Sunday?)

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I make pretty tasty meatloaf AND great potato salad. Even people that don't like potato salad like my potato salad. It's sure to be in my obituary so watch for it one day. :)

Grace said...

About 6 weeks ago I read the most incredible obit in the Washington Post - I so meant to share it - not that the person was so great but it was written in a kind of omnipotent 3rd person...I laughed so hard I nearly blew coffee out my nose - and I don't think they were trying to be funny...speaking of coffee that must be one might big cup to squeeze your hubby into it...And then there is meatloaf - I don't eat much meat but I do love my meatloaf - you can find the recipe on the back of a box of Lipton Hearty Beefy onion soup mix...

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

I would REALLY like to be the judge of that (nint, hint)!

Bossy Betty said...

Hey! I love to read the obits here too. They publish a picture with it, sometimes from the person's younger days. I obsess about what picture my family will use. Do you think I should select one now? I read one that the person wrote before he died and that was a hoot. Man, I have a lot to do today!

Secondary Roads said...

My favorite Meat Loaf song is, "Bat out of Hell." You meat loaf does sing, doesn't it?

Patty Woodland said...

I am not a big fan of meatloaf (the food) myself. The singer is another story.

I do, however make an excellent meatloaf (the food) since the hubby loves it. I would never put the make on Meatloaf (the singer) as I am married.

BeadedTail said...

That's funny! My grandma was known for making the best cookies ever and people loved them. She gave away thousands of cookies in her lifetime. Her car license plate even said "Cookies" so everyone at her funeral talked about her and her cookies!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

meatloaf, cats & yarn dolls...

goatman said...

Now you have done it . . . I must make a meat loaf. With carrots.

Candy C. said...

I surely hope they put your awesome meatloaf making abilities in your obit! Perhaps you should write it yourself and then it would say all the things you want it to say. After all, it worked for my dad! ;)

Noel said...

I think that is too funny. My Mom makes potato salad and none of us like it, but we don't have the heart to tell her! She thinks she makes the best potato salad ever!!

Lydia

Ann said...

I'm thinking I might have to work on writing my own obituary because I'm afraid of what my kids will write in mine....lol

silverthoughts2 said...

My Aunt's obituary had mention of her pasta and chicken soup.

Lin said...

Tracy--Oh, I like that! Maybe we ought to work on that here. Hmmmmm...now you've got me thinking!

Vanilla--Ya know what's better than meatloaf for dinner? Meatloaf sammiches the next day! YUM! I think your gal is messin' with ya!

Diane-Wow! You are a Double crown winner! I am impressed.

Grace--Dang! I would have loved to have read it!! Next time, save me the obit to read!

Jerry--I am NOT inviting you over for dinner, Fish. Nope. Not even after a nice Sunday Drive.

Betty--I think we should do an obit post--you know, where we pick our photo and write our obit?! Who's in???!

Chuck--Nope, my meatloaf does not sing...or dance, thank goodness. I like Meatloaf, but he was sorta crazy on that Apprentice show. Wow.

Patty--I like to make little individual meatloaves so they aren't too big. I don't make it too often anymore because the kids hate it. Can you believe that? I'm with your hubby--I LOVE meatloaf!

Beaded Tail--Oh, that's so cool! I like that they mentioned that at her funeral. I'll bet she would have liked that.

Diana-yeah.....

Goatman--Hi New Pally! I put carrots in my meatloaf for color--I think that is what drives my kids nuts. You don't really taste them... Sheesh.

Candy--I like that idea. But I would have to keep changing it to keep up with my changing life. Your dad did that? COOL!

Lydia--Oh no! So, do you put it in the obit or not??? Aw, gees, you have a dilemma!

Ann--No kidding, me too!! I would hate for it to be boring--that would be awful.

Silver--Cool! Very cool! Obits should always be interesting like that.

red dirt girl said...

Hahahaaa.... This made me laugh out loud AND crave meatloaf which yes, my kids hate. There's just no pleasing some peoples ...!!

xxx