Saturday, December 22, 2012

Whaddya, 5 years old???

While the train set and accompanying village is cute to see, you wouldn't believe how ridiculous it is to set up. Most of the people are balanced precariously and it takes forever to get them to actually stand or sit where you want them to be. It is not fun...just ask me and Emma. We are the ones who typically set it up each year.

Take for example, the hobos.  Those two on the box car....it's a beeyotch to get them to sit there.  I don't think folks appreciate the difficulty. Really.

But it makes for a great scene....IF you can get them there.


And the hobos by the fire....ridiculous.  They look like they are enjoying their little camp-out, but behind the scenes, there are two gals tearing their hair out for an hour just trying to get them to stay upright. Ugh.

The whole time I'm trying to photograph them for the blog, my idiot husband decides to fire up the train.  So, while I'm gingerly trying to coax those hobos to behave themselves, he's playing Choo Choo Charlie and making me dodge oncoming tank cars. 

And then he did it.....

He grabbed the box car.    Yep....THE boxcar....the one with the hobos balanced precariously.  Didn't blink.  Didn't think twice.  Nope.  Just GRABBED it and stuck it on the long trail of cars on the back of his train.

And the hobos......well, they were just laying there with their faces to the wood floor.  Sigh.


Joe got yelled at....a lot.  He listened to me rant about how damn difficult it is to get those two hobos on that boxcar.  He dared to make light of the situation and foolishly told me that he would fix them....

Yeah/no.  Not so easy, eh, buddy?  Heh. Heh.  Welcome to miniature hell, pal.

After a lot of "Dammit!'s" and "Shit!'s", Emma had to step in and fix it.  She was as miffed as I was.  You see, if you don't set up the village and those wobbly village people, you have no appreciation for the steady hand and the time it takes to get one to stand up properly.

Rule #1:  Do NOT touch the village, please.  Or if you do, prepare for the wrath of me and Em.

16 comments:

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

A truly loving wife always encourages their husband to pursue his hobbies to the fully extent possible.

http://youtu.be/WDZSk8yPJfE

Terra said...

Hey that takes me back to when I was a kid and we had a train that circled our Christmas tree.

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Just get some of that sticky stuff and stick it under the hobos butts and they'll sit there just fine and dandy.... Now STOP yelling at your husband... poor soul.

P.S. I like trains a lot.

Grace said...

Removable glue stick! Then there is that putty stuff, the name of which I can't remember...Of course that would take the fun out of it...sometimes half the fun can be watching the little people fall down...

Patty Woodland said...

What Diane said. Works great, cleans up easy. Called museum putty. Will save you mucho time and aggravation unless said is really part of the fun.

John Anton said...

Hot glue the Hobos' asses to the box car. That way they can even ride when Joe uses the box car.

Candy C. said...

I was thinking some of that putty stuff too but then where would be the fun of trying to get the little guys to sit or stand or STAY!!

Daisy said...

Those Village People. I think they would really rather stay at the YMCA. Because it's fun.

Ann said...

I agree with everyone else, get some of that sticky stuff then choo choo Charlie can play to his hearts content

Debbie said...

haha...don't hold anything back!!

poor joe and how about your kitty, will kitty stay away from the moving choo-choo??

is that old fashioned "tinsle" i see on your tree. i have a lot of similar memories about tinsle!!

Hot Rocks said...

Ha ha....poor hobos! Try a bit of plastercine to stick their butts in place.

BeadedTail said...

Maybe now Joe will appreciate all the work you and Emma do to get the village perfect. Hope Emma got the hobos in the train car again!

vanilla said...

The "steady hand" thing explains exactly why I don't do HO.

Consensus seems to be some sort of stickum.

Secondary Roads said...

The wrath of not one but two--count 'em two--females. I wouldn't want to face that, nor do I think the world is ready for that.

I'm with Vanilla. With these unsteady hands, I'm hoping for Velcro fastener shoes this week.

Sharkbytes said...

Try a tiny blob of that tacky poster stickum that just peels off when you need to put them away. Works great.

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

I love your little hobos. Nobody talks about them anymore but I remember they were around when we were kids. Your little guys definitely need some sticky substance to hold their butts down.