Friday, December 21, 2012

My Non-Competitive Cats

We visited with friends, John and Betty, last week and their place was decked out all Christmas-like.  Their home sparkled Christmas from the minute you pulled into the driveway--garland and lights around the house and every doorway, Santa and the missus by the TV, holly and ivy dripping from every corner.  It was a sight to behold and oh, so lovely.

While I was admiring their tree, Betty told us of their tradition of hiding the pickle ornament on their tree each year.  Have you heard of that?  It's a German thing, I think.  You hide a pickle ornament on the tree and whoever finds it first wins a prize.  Betty and John give cold hard cash to the kid who finds the pickle each year. 

And the whole time Betty is telling us this story, I'm thinking that fun event would unleash a hell like no other if it were at our house.  I can only imagine my two goofs crying and fighting, pouting and stomping around if they weren't the winners.  Betty gives cash as her prize--me....I'd have to scale that down to a firm handshake--and they'd STILL be mad.  These people can't play Sorry without a battle--can you imagine a contest...on Christmas morning...with money as a prize??? Criminy, there's no way that would be going down at our house--my mama didn't raise no fool.

But, you know, that whole pickle thing gave me an idea....

As I was pulling the car into the garage yesterday, I noticed a wee friend racing along the perimeter of the garage. Sigh.  Great, a mouse in the garage and I've got two cats who can't find him.  Mouse in the garage will quickly turn into Mouse in the crawl space of the house--not cool. 

Soooo....

I announced to the two cats today...a special prize for whoever catches the mouse in the garage.  I didn't even get the chance to announce what the prize would be... the two of them just sorta looked at me with that "Are you kidding me?" look on their bored kitty faces.  Then one cat went to eat or something otherwise very cat-important, and the other one went the opposite direction to the family room to get away from Cat #1.

Sigh.

Maybe if I tell them there's  pickle in the garage...

13 comments:

Marg said...

That does sound like that would be the ruin of the tree to put a pickle in there for them to find.
Bet those kitties will catch that mouse eventually. Take care and have a great week end.

Duni said...

A pickle in a tree? Can't say I've heard of that tradition! My Mom used to bake a Christmas Stollen and there was always a hidden coin inside. It was always my brother who found it though ;-)
Sammy has never hunted anything, not even a fly. Molly on the other hand...

Kathy said...

I can just see the cats part ways in the most bored way possible. I think we cat owners are just lucky they tolerate us at all.

I know of the pickle. I can get one for you at the Moravian Book Shop in my hometown of Bethlehem, PA, officially known as The Christmas City. Message me your home address. Would be happy to send one!

Secondary Roads said...

Let me get this right . . . You are hoping for a pickle puss to catch a mouse? Or did I miss something?

vanilla said...

What a pickle!

Patty Woodland said...

I too know of the pickle...

You need to borrow Harry the Farm cat. I see him every day carrying mice out of the barn.

Grace said...

First laugh of the day...(having my husband help me fold sheets was not amusing...tho it was laughable...)

BeadedTail said...

I've seen pickle ornaments and could never understand why anyone would want a pickle on their tree but now I understand!

Candy C. said...

Hmmmm...sounds like a couple of cats I know!!

Ann said...

I've read about the pickle tradition and one year when my brother had a foreign exchange student from Germany they hid a pickle in their tree. The kid had no idea what they were talking about.

Sharkbytes said...

I have heard of the German pickle on the tree. Didn't know it was a contest though. Your cats just aren't motivated, I guess. Maybe they leave the competition to the rest of you.

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Oh man... mice give me the heebie jeebies... sic 'em cats!!!

Lin said...

Marg--No, I don't think they are gonna catch that thing. Joe had to put some special mousie food out in the garage--our kitties are too well fed to have to hunt.

Duni--Anything that encourages competition between kids is not allowed here--especially on Christmas morning! I'm not up for a battle. Isn't there a bread with a baby doll baked into it too?

Kathy--I can't believe those two aren't up for the hunt. Sheesh. Joe had to put out "food" for him, otherwise he'll be bringing all his friends over to move in. Thanks for the pickle offer!

Chuck--yeah, something like that. It ain't gonna happen though--they are too well fed to have to catch their dinner.

Vanilla--No kidding!!

Patty--I need a goat in the summer to mow the lawn and Harry in the winter to get rid of the mousie. My two are not good mousers.

Grace--I would think the sheet folding is more fun than watching these two cats ignore me. :)

Beaded Tail--Yeah, I still don't want a pickle on my tree! Hahaha! Naw, we ended up getting one, but there is no contest to go along with it.

Candy--My two are too well fed to hunt. :( Besides, they are very busy....napping.

Ann--That's hilarious!! Isn't that funny that we think they all know about the pickle??!

Sharkey--No, my cats are too well fed to do much hunting. I'm sure if there was a little butterfly in the garage they'd be all over it though.

Diane--Oh, he was little. I just don't want friends or family moving in--they have a way of doing that, you know? And while I don't get creeped out by them, I will admit to kicking my shoes around a bit before sticking my feet into them!