Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Yarn Buddies Anonymous

My addiction started with a simple dinner at some dinky Mexican restaurant in Springfield, Illinois.  I happen to have 2 quarters in my hand as I passed one of those cheesy vending machines in the vestibule of the place and I just stood there staring at them while I was waiting for Joe to pay for our dinner. The rest is the downfall of me--I had to put my quarters in that machine, didn't I?

"Hey, Em...look what I got," I dangled my new ball-o-yarn friend in her face--which you know drove her nuts that I had something cool and she did not...

"HEY! Where'd ya get that?!" she yelled all jealous-like. 

And the next thing you know, we are spending every freaking quarter that could be found in a Kautz pocket, change purse, and/or glove compartment just to collect more of these goofy things.  We even went back the next morning to get more--addicting little devils.

They are little ball-o-yarn dollies--or better known in the marketplace as "voodoo dolls."  But I don't use them as voodoo dolls--I just like them because they have "personality" and I can get them for .50 cents--well, if you are in the Mexican restaurant in Springfield, Illinois.  Here they have them at Hallmark for $8.95 which is crazy for a yarn buddy.  I'm not sure why they are voodoo dolls, I just think they are cute and I have them hanging in my car....and they make me happy.

But half of the fun of them is the thrill of the unknown....the chance you take when you drop 2 hard quarters into that machine, never knowing what yarn buddy you are gonna get.  We've got a graduate, a ballerina, a bald-headed newspaper-holdin' old guy that we call "Joe" and some other guy who's got a book or a computer or something.  And that's when we ran out of quarters.....but not the want for more. Bummer.

Em and I were so addicted that we pleaded with Joe to stop there before leaving Springfield just so we could get another.  And we both stood there......our last two quarters in hand....then dropped, ever so carefully into the machine......and.....and.....

we got some plastic figurine of a droopy-boobed old woman with curlers in her hair and a frying pan in her hand.  Yeah...it was the whammy of vending machine fodder.  Damn it!    Two quarters WASTED. Ugh.

But did that stop us?  Nope.  We are still on the hunt for a machine that sells these damn things around here.  We don't go anywhere without scouring the vending machines for yarn buddies, and so far, no luck.  

arrrggh. 






22 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I have never seen those in a vending machine before. They are kind of cute.

I hate stinkbugs because we get hundreds of them inside and YES they stink! They squirt brown goop all over the place. They will even crawl up on your pillow in the middle of the night and you'll wake up to stinkbug stink. It's awful!

Hot Rocks said...

There's a market on Vancouver Island that sells those little dolls, and They are full of personality. Not sure what they sell them for, I think they ate pretty cheap tho. I will have to check for you next time I am there.

Secondary Roads said...

Quick! Someone. Warn Joe. He's got to keep those to gals away from Las Vegas. ;-)

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I say get a whole tub full of them and decorate a small Christmas tree with these yarn voodoo dudes!

Pearl said...

I've never seen one of these.

And now I must have one...

Pearl :-)

Nancy said...

Oh my...those are a bit scary. I get the voodoo part.

Grace said...

Well it appears they are called String Dolls. Or you pretend you actually have a vending machine and buy a lifetime supply. Lots of options!

Duni said...

Oh, those are adorable and I can understand the addiction. My hubby is like that with the Kinder Eggs - do you know those? There are little plastic figurines insides, usually a set. He eats a lot of those eggs ;-)

vanilla said...

One simply has to smile as he slowly shakes his head. Yet he is happy that they make you happy.

Candy C. said...

I hadn't seen these guys before! They are pretty stinkin' cute, I can see how you got hooked!
Don't click on the links Grace provided...no, no, don't do it!!

Kathy said...

Oh dear God. I almost bought a truck load of them at the Pirate House in Savannah (upstairs gift shop, if you ever go). There's like two whole kiosks of them. There was no cost listed, so I purposely didn't get attached to them for fear they were like ten bucks each. I loved them, though! I can see why you are an addict.

Ann said...

I've never seen these in vending machines before. Maybe you could make your own and start a whole new thing putting up vending machines in your area.

Marg said...

Wonder how hard they would be to make?? They sound so cute. Hope you can find some more. Take care.

Lin said...

Lisa--They are VERY cute....don't start looking for them. I'm just warning you ahead of time. And oh, I don't think I like stinkbugs either.

Hot Rocks--Can you please start adding them to your necklaces? I think I would like that. ;)

Chuck--Do they have yarn buddies in Vegas?????

Diane--Oh, that would be CUTE! I'm not sure Joe would appreciate my collection growing to that extent.

Pearl--Oh, you can't just have ONE!

Grace--I looked them up last night too. I could open a shop! I actually found a swimmer one--with a little swimsuit and GOGGLES!

Duni--I don't know about Kinder Eggs...but I know about Kinder! YUM! I can't even imagine a little treat inside of them. Wow!

Vanilla--It takes so little, Vanilla. :)

Candy--Oh, been there on that site already. It's soooo addicting!! They are small, so you can have more than one. I'm just sayin'....

Kathy--Thank you! See?! They are so cute, aren't they? If they are on little cards....they are expensive. They were listed at $8.95 at Hallmark---which is NUTS! Even for me. I love that you know what I'm talking about.

Ann--But why would I want to sell them when I can have them all for myself?

Marg--Oh, criminy..don't get me started making yard buddies!!! Hahaha! Joe will leave us. Hahaha!

BeadedTail said...

I've never seen those before but I can see how they'd be addictive! How come we didn't get to see a photo of the whammy of vending machine fodder? I had to giggle at that since only you would get one like that!

Lin said...

Beaded Tail--We gave it to Em's boyfriend. It was sooo CREEPY, we had to get it outta here!

Simone said...

They sound addicting but fun! You can't go wrong with 50 cents for cheap entertainment, right? Now, I am curious as to whether Oregon has yarn buddies.

Veronica Lee said...

They are cute! I would be addicted too!

Lin said...

Simone--Let me know if you find 'em. :)

Veronica Lee--Our collection has expanded...and Joe is at fault. More on that later.

Sharkbytes said...

That is TOO funny! I've never seen them in a vending machine. What is their size? (I'm addicted to smashed pennies)

Lin said...

Sharkey--They are around 2 1/2" to 3" tall. I think we have enough now to decorate a small Christmas tree with them. :) I like smashed pennies too.

Small Town Mommy said...

I have never heard of those before. It must be a midwest thing. I'm kind of glad we don't have them since my kids would probably love them.