Friday, November 9, 2012

Karma is a Mean Mutha

Karma.  It's the universe's big get-even.  It may take a short time to bite ya in the ass, or it may take a really, really long time.  So, when you've been not-so-particularly nice, and you know it, sometimes you sort of have to sit there and wait.....'cuz you know it's coming.

Last year, we went through a bout of health issues with our elderly kitty, Grace.  Her old bones are growing tired and her kidneys, well.....they are tired too.  And as she gets older, things sort of go wonky and you get all sorts of surprises that really aren't "fun" surprises, but they are still surprises just the same.

Grace was getting urinary tract infections (UTI) about every 6 weeks--like clock work.  We no sooner would end the antibiotic and we were back at the emergency vet for more.  And yes, it was always at the most inconvenient time--holidays, Sunday afternoons, a day before we leave for vacation--you know, when the regular vet was closed.  Sigh. 

And then after spending a nasty fortune to get examined and prescribed antibiotic at the emergency vet, we'd have the "follow-up" visit at our regular vet.  Then they'd run all sorts of tests trying to figure out why she was so chronic with those darn things.  We stopped at doing exploratory surgery.  We figured that no matter what they would find, we were not opening up a 15-year old cat.  Nope. Wasn't an option. We would just make our peace with her lovely long life, and help her end it gracefully.

Thankfully, an extended round of antibiotics (3 months) and a private litter box behind the bathroom cabinet did the trick.  Grace finally (Hooray!) quit getting UTI's and peeing on the rug in the bathroom.

While I felt for that cat, I was at my end with that damn rug.  Coming home to that thing balled up and peed on everyday was more than I could handle.  It was a big rug. A heavy rug. A rug that was not easily laundered.  And it made my washing machine dance around the laundry room making loud noises and flashing ugly lights at me.  I'm not sure if I hated that peed-on rug or the UTI's more at that point.  I couldn't move the rug, simply because she would find somewhere else to pee--which wasn't a good option.

I finally had a discussion with Grace. I sat her down and we had a nice, long talk about appropriate peeing and.....well.....Rainbow Bridges if the peeing wouldn't stop.  We seriously did everything we could to help her stop the peeing, but it was getting out of hand.  Fortunately, she took our talk to heart and it finally stopped.  Thank god.  It was a long, smelly battle--and an expensive one too.

All of this has been water under the bridge, so to speak, until this week.

It was Tuesday evening that I had this unstoppable urge to pee.....with no luck.  I sat, like Grace, on the pot--imagining my ears pointed backwards like Grace too--straining....straining.....straining.  I was damn miserable.  Now I knew what that cat felt like and it was no picnic. I swear that cat was smiling knowingly, but she stuck by my side and never once mentioned "putting me down."  Although she had every right to.

I woke up early Wednesday and set off to visit the immediate care center the second it opened.  I walked slowly into the kitchen and Joe dared to ask "How are you feeling this morning?"

Well..... you know......

I just wanted to pee on that damn rug. 

 


26 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! UTIs are the pits.

vanilla said...

Praying for a quick recovery.

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Ugh.... how miserable for you, but I'm glad you removed the pee pee rug.

Secondary Roads said...

Here's a prayer that you don't repeat Grace's experience.

Hot Rocks said...

Oh dear...that really sucks! Ive had those before, and its so annoying. Hope you get better soon, and that Joe doesn't threaten to send you off to the Rainbow Bridge!

Katnip Lounge said...

At least Karma didn't extend to cramming you in a plastic crate!

Get well soon, from yr pal, I. P. Freely

Grace said...

I know there is no laughing allowed - karma and all of that - but it's your fault because of the way you wrote it!

Grace said...

Wait - I don't think that reads right - I meant I laughed because you wrote it funny - not "odd" funny but "LOL" funny...

Mary Ann said...

I know it's not fun having a UTI but I had to laugh....sorry:)

Patty Woodland said...

Yeah, but they would open up your 40something self if need be.

BeadedTail said...

Hee hee. Yep, that's karma alright! Bet that new insurance company is wondering what's up with your family!

Catherine said...

Oh oh...see? That's what you get! LOL! Hope you get feeling better soon! Not fun!

Now...no peeing on the rug... ;)

xo Catherine

Nancy said...

Well I'm really relieved to hear that Grace is better and doing great! I was kind of dreading the end of that post...and then it turns out to be you with the issues? What's going on friend?

Debbie said...

hehe, what goes around......

Candy C. said...

Dang Karma will get ya' EVERY time!! Hope you get it cleared up soon!

Lin said...

Lisa--Yeah, well, Grace hinted at that, but she never fully let on. Ugh. Thanks, pally!

Vanilla--I think I'm gonna live. Rats.

Diane--Seriously, I thought of that damn rug the minute I couldn't go. It's an awful feeling.

Chuck--Yeah, no kidding.

Hot Rocks--These UTIs are NO fun! I was ready for the Rainbow Bridge!

Katnip--Hahaha! :)

Grace--I'm glad everybody but me finds this hilarious. I think I caught the cat chuckling too. :(

Mary Ann--Oh, I had to laugh too, but dang....who knew how bad these things are???! I am one unhappy camper.

Patty--Oh, those damn doctors are just waiting to take something outta me!

Beaded Tail--No kidding!! And we are not normally sick people. I mean, we NEVER meet our deductible.

Catherine--I had it coming. And that darn Grace is sticking close and being so nice to me. I don't deserve her.

Nancy--UTI. Karma, pally. Karma. :(

Debbie--No kidding!! This is NOT fun!

Candy--With some antibiotic and cranberry juice, there is quick relief. Criminy, that is an AWFUL feeling!! I was miserable. :(

Petula Wright said...

:-(
Ahhh... Sorry to hear that, but it is a little chuckle worthy. Poor Gracie and Linny Poo. Maybe Grace is a black cat in disguise and she is teaching you a lesson.

An-t-way, I do hope you're feeling much better and not thinking about the rug any longer!

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

Ok, UTI is so not funny, but your post was a little funny. I hope you feel better soon:-)

DJ said...

Forgive me, but this gave me such a giggle. After many years of dealing with many cats with UTI's and trying to explain this to owners, I know it's no fun! The great thing though is that every female owner "got it" the minute I told them: "your cat feels just like you did if you have ever had cystitis or a UTI". I have had them and it ain't no picnic. Hope your feeling better soon :)

Marg said...

Oh Grace, that was certainly great payback for you. Finally the Mom knew what you had been through. But Grace we are glad you are finally better.
And the donkeys like their Mom, they just get spooked very easily and she doesn't walk around the pasture very often, so it was something different and fun.

Daisy said...

Going potty on the rug is so comforting! A few years ago, when I had a chronic problem it turned out to be bladder stones instead of the UTI everybuddy thought I had. An x-ray confirmed it.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Aw! I hope you feel better soon. :)

Ann said...

only you could make an amusing post out of a UTI. Been there, done that, no fun. Hope you're feeling better

Sharkbytes said...

haha! I would feel sorry for you, but that is too funny. Grace is smiling, I'm sure.

Lin said...

Petula--I'm feeling better and Grace is done smirking. I swear she was...really. I just hope it doesn't return like hers did.

Denise--A few days of antibiotic and we're good. It wasn't funny at the time, but it's funny now. :)

DJ--Oh, there is no relief fast enough! It's horrible. I understand why the rug was so attractive to her.

Marg--I knew that she was feeling awful, but I had NO idea HOW awful! Ugh. Poor kitty! Poor Me! It's gone now, but not soon forgotten.

Daisy--Hahaha! Yeah, I was thinking that peeing on the rug might have helped!! But I didn't do it--it's such a pain to wash. Grace was x-rayed, but no stones. She had TONS of tests with no answers, but the new litter box for just her solved the problem. Hooray!

Rebecca--Thanks, pally. Yep, feeling better now. Thank goodness!

Ann--Oh, it comes on so FAST and it is soo AWFUL!! :( I'm feeling better now, thank goodness.

Sharkey--She had that 'I told you so' look.

BumbleVee said...

for a second there, I thought you were going to say you went to the emergency vet ....

sorry you are not having a fun time of it .... get better soon..... and ya know what? just pee on the rug and then...throw it out....