Thursday, August 25, 2011

Move Over, Frogs

I'm not exactly sure when or why the dreams started, but it was weird--I kept dreaming about swimming.  I think it was well over two years ago when the dreams started and they weren't quitting. I just knew that I felt peaceful swimming in those dreams and I wondered if I was missing something--if I should start again.

I swam in high school--on the team and everything.  And while I'm probably more competitive now, I wasn't back then--I could care less if I won a race or not. I was in it for the fun, like most everything else in my life.  I did pretty well, though, I won a few races and actually held a few school records for like a minute and a half or something.

For 4 years, I swam. And swam. And swam.  And I swam with my buddy, Cheryl.  We were two peas in a pod and swimming was our life. Even in the off season--then we swam with the boys swim team under the guise of being "swim team managers"--whatever that is.  Now that I think about it, I think we were probably just addicted to chlorine. Or those boys in Speedos.  Either way, we loved that darn pool--and the chlorine smell that was the aroma of our lives.

Well, after the dreams wouldn't quit, I finally joined our local rec center pool. Okay, so I hate that rec center--it is loaded with seniors, but  I bought myself a suit, a snappy purple cap, and some funky pink goggles and I was set. Whether or not I could still do a few laps was yet to be seen, but I was up for the challenge, so I handed over $30 and dove in--literally and figuratively.

So, I'm hooked again.  The smell of chlorine, the smooth surface of the water in lane #1, the dry skin, my soggy suit hanging out to dry in the laundry room--everything, like it was 30 years ago.  The only thing missing is Cheryl. I'm not kidding that with that very first lap, when every memory of those years flooded my brain, I honestly missed her feet in front of me, leading lap after lap, after lap. 

The thing I love most about swimming is the thinking time. With no scenery other than a blue ceramic tile path on the bottom of the pool guiding me, my brain wanders--back to the old days, how much this does not hurt like I thought it would, how much I love swimming, and how ridiculous it is that the time that I am available to swim just happens to coincide with Senior Swim at the center.  Sigh. 

And while I just joined over the weekend, I'm already feeling great, the dreams have subsided, and I've got a week's worth of blog posts on my fellow pool buddies alone.  Stay tuned.......

15 comments:

Helene said...

And to think I wanted to join a pool and learn to swim. No way am I ending up a senior blog post. Nope Na. Uh uh.

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

OK...this is providing me an entire day of giggles! Wonder if I can find any pics of me in my Americana Speedo!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Nice post. For me, I can't relax in the water. Maybe it's because I grew up by a lake, where we were taught to always be on the alert-- for sudden squalls, boats, nasty crayfish, flotsam, etc. I prefer to sit by the water and watch it. So peaceful. Enjoy!

Melodie said...

That is a wonderful story! I am glad you are swimming again!

Grace said...

They say it is the best exercise especially for aging bodies - gentler on the bones and muscles. Me, I am deathly afraid of the water - don't go in it or on it tho I prefer living near it...I can watch the ocean for hours.

Pricilla said...

Swimming is excellent exercise. Good for you. It's the tadpole in ya!

Lynne said...

That's fantastic! I've always heard that swimming is one of the best exercising routines a person can have, and I believe it! I always wish our backyard pool was longer so I could do laps. :-)

Writer Lady said...

I am such a timid swimmer. I hadn't swum for years. Then I tried in a motel pool, at night, alone. I had totally forgotten how to do it. When I decided to just splash in and swim, I sunk. My arms flailed like a kids, reaching for the wall. I hit it and fractured my finger and hurt my hand.

The finger's still sore. Maybe I'll sign up for swimming lessons - or maybe I won't. I don't like getting my face underwater.

BeadedTail said...

That's wonderful that you are back in the pool! I love to swim too but this body won't go near a swimsuit for fear of ending up in someone's blog post! :)

Daisy said...

Well, I think it would be better to swim with the Seniors than to swim during Mommy 'n Me time!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

So swim over and see me sometime!

Winnie said...

What is it with rec center swimming pools and the older set? The one here is the same way, whatever you do make sure not to time any workouts that coincide with the beginning or end of a water aerobics class - trust me on this.

Secondary Roads said...

That chlorine odor is addictive. Never swam in competition, but used to do back-stroke laps in the pool so I could examine the ceiling above the pool in the old field house at MSU. That always felt so good afterward.

Lin said...

Helene--I swim laps and write the posts in my head. It's just a matter of finding the time to actually post them that is hanging me up. There is some crazy stuff going on there. Go get your suit on, Helene. You can't compare with this group!

Diana--Oh, there are more photos in the attic--I just have to get up there. Glad I have the day off work tomorrow! ;) Guess what I'm doing??

Rebecca--I'm a pool gal. Now if I'm sunning, I never even get my hair wet. It's odd the two sides of me. I'm either really princessy or I'm lapping the old folks.

Melodie--Me too! It's so weird! I'm not kidding--I felt like it was yesterday that I was on the team.

Grace--There is a lot of non-swimming going on--but more about that later. I'm really liking the swimming, but not so much the putting-lin-back-together part. It's a LOT Of work getting presentable again.

Pricilla--I like that. I'm the human tadpole!

Lynne--The only bad part of swimming now is getting wet. Seriously. I have to take another shower, put on make-up, dry the hair. That part is exhausting.

Marilynne--Owie! Hey, some of the seniors do water aerobics without getting their hair wet or their face in the water. You don't have to do laps to get a workout. Check into it--you may like that.

Beaded Tail--Oh, the suit part is NOT pretty--especially with all the cut-outs and such for movement. But I'm telling you--it's no fashion show at the pool so you don't even care really. I'm like the "hottest" one at the pool because we have nothing but seniors there. It's great for the ego.

Daisy--I don't know. It's pretty back, Daisy. I've got some stories coming. I write them in my head while I swim. Now I have to find a minute to post them.

Sharkey--I think it was Diana Nyad (?) swimming from Cuba to Florida recently that got me going again. So, maybe with that inspiration, I may just swim the lake---Michigan. :)

Winnie--Our community really caters to the senior set, so the rec center is that times 10. I can't begin to convey the madness that is Senior hour at the pool. I've got more detailed posts coming. Glad it's not just me that notices this.

Chuck--It DOES! I haven't felt this good in ages. And for once, I actually WANT to go to workout.

paul s. said...

hello lin do seniors pee in the pool like the little kids ?