My head is spinning today. It is my first day off this week, and I am both refreshed and encouraged by my entrance back into the working world. I actually did some things that required a brain for a change. No more folding fabric, picking up garbage, sweeping the store, waiting on customers, unpacking inventory, or anything else that is retail oriented. I did that for the past 5 years, picking up silly jobs to make a couple of dollars here and there. I hated it. It was all very physical and not very mental most of the time--unless, of course, you count the mental mind control of not wanting to kill most of the customers you meet. It is nice to dust off the old brain to find it still works.
So, I am chilling this morning, jammies still on, and an endless cup of coffee as my sole companion. Thoughts are spinning and I cannot focus on just one for the blog today. I think I'll just do a Letterman Top 10 of random and bizarre thoughts for the morning.
1. I hate my neighbors. The fool around the corner finally succeeded in killing the oppossum who frequented my birdfeeder and pond in the night hours. It never bothered anyone--on the contrary. It was gentle, shy, and just wanted a cool drink. I tossed her a cookie the other night. Em was crushed to see her run over on the street this morning. It was pointless and cruel. I hate him. And no, "hate" isn't too strong a word.
2. Demarcus Douglas' reign of germ warfare continues. Em's good friend, Hannah, is the latest casualty. That boy has some very determined and long-lived germs!
3. I cannot wait for the weekend! Yes! We are traveling to the alma mater, WIU, to hang with the marching band. I plan on : visiting the old stomping grounds, sneaking into my old dorm, drinking warm beer at Jackson Street Pub, throwing rocks into Lake Argyle, sneering at the old bureaucratic headquarters known as Sherman Hall, taking photos on "Rocky" the bulldog, and cracking up with Em, Caroline, and Joe. Oh yeah, and taking in a full day of marching band competition. I cannot wait!!!
4. Can my bullfrog get any bigger?! Geesh! She must have eaten another bird yesterday, as she is so fat she cannot swim! It is gluttony at its worst. Relocation has crossed my mind. Don't stand too close to the pond these days.
5. Do we really have to bail out the mortgage crisis? I don't understand most of it, and my eyes kind of glaze over when the politicians start debating the issue, but I still think it is not a good idea. Is it fair that we bail out homebuyers, banks, and mortgage companies that were too greedy for their own good? I think not.
6. Did you see the Atlanta zoo has a new baby panda?! We watched Mei Lan grow up via Pandacam last year, and I recommend you do the same with the new cub. It is the cutest thing! Looking for a "happy fix"? This is the place.
7. Did anyone else get angry with Kenley's treatment of Tim Gunn last night on Project Runway? Girlfriend was RUDE to Tim, of all people!! I mean, how could she?! I still think she and her 50's style dresses should have been eliminated last night. I love Tim Gunn. (Have I mentioned that I met him this spring?) Sheesh. Some people.............(refer to #1).
8. The White Sox are KILLING me! Can we not hit the ball?! Is it too much to get a guy past second base? How 'bout scoring? Can we not hit pop-ups that are easy targets to catch? Why does Ozzie insist on putting in Dotel and MacDougal? What is the deal with the bullpen? I am frustrated beyond belief with my boys. Dye looks like his name sounds. Swish hasn't hit anything in too long and isn't even playing the last 2 days. Thome is slower than my cat walking to the door. I cannot stand Vasquez or Anderson--we have given them too many chances and they let us down consistently. I miss Joe Crede. And Quentin--big time. We paid waaayyyy too much for old man Griffey. Oh, I could go on and on............
9. Is Fall ever going to come? C'mon, bring on the cool crisp weather!
10. Only 2 more weeks until Jon Katz visits Chicago on his book tour!! October 8th will find me changing my clothes about a cazillion times, traveling way up north to Skokie to some book store, and my world stopping for my favorite author, blogger, and creative encourager. Em says I'll be like Spongebob in his "Kevin the Sea Cucumber" episode--where he is a wide-eyed heavy breathing fan (fanatic) who does anything to be accepted by his icon. She walks through the kitchen: (breathing heavy) "Hi, Jon!" (breathing heavy). The abuse is non-stop. I just tell her that she is a loser who will end up marrying a pig farmer. It doesn't help, she continues. I don't care--I cannot wait to meet Katz. I hope to get a picture with him.
House cleaning beckons. I have to get moving or the day will pass far too quickly. Blogging and surfing the world of blogs has a tendency to evaporate the hours for me. Onward....................